Above: Modern-Day Bardots
Above: Modern-Day Bardots
Halloween’s parade of naughty nurses, bosomy beer stein babes, and pleather-clad Catwomen can be a real horror show. Last year, we even encountered an R-rated Judge Judy costume (shudder). If you’re going for sex appeal, do yourself a favor and channel one of the pros: Marilyn, Rita, or Liz.
Here, our own Emma Willis, tutors Daily Candy in Old Hollywood glamour.
1. Even out skin with foundation (Stila’s Illuminating Liquid Foundation, $38) and dab a creamy concealer where needed.
2. Lightly dust a translucent powder (Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed Powder, $35) all over, including eyelids, for a satiny finish.
3. Brush on a powder bronzer (Becca Bronzer in Athena, $38) under cheekbones and lightly around the temples. For just the right amount of flush, lightly apply cream blush (Kevyn Aucoin’s The Creamy Glow in Tresbelle, $24) to the apples of your cheeks and blend.
4. Sweep a neutral eye shadow (Julie Hewett in Silk, $10) over lids and up to the brow bone. Fill in the eye crease with a darker charcoal shade (Stila in Rain, $18) and dust a shimmery, opalescent shadow on the eyelid below. Dip a fine brush into a black liquid eyeliner (Stila Smudge Pot in Black, $20) and draw a slightly angled line from the inner corner of your eye to the outer corner, along the lash line, thin to start and then gradually building it up and winging it out at the end. (Tip: Pull the corner of your eyelid tight to achieve a more precise line.)
5. Take a thin brow brush and, using a matte brown or black shadow, fleck in the brows to play up their arch.
6. Layer black mascara (YSL Volume Effet Faux Cils in Noir Radical, $30) on your upper and lower eye lashes. For XXL-size drama, add a few false lashes.
7. Rub a dab of concealer over lips and finish with a dust of powder. Take a blue-based-red lip liner (Julie Hewett in Femme Noir, $15) and pencil in the entire lip before applying a moisturizing red lipstick (YSL Rouge Pur Shine in Red Strass, $30). Gently roll a Q-Tip along your inner lip line to avoid getting lipstick on your teeth.
8. Take a sharpened black or dark brown eyeliner pencil and press gently into the skin just inside your laugh line for a Marilyn-esque beauty mark.
Knock ’em dead.
If you peruse Emma's makeup bag you'll notice—well, you'll notice that the darling has a lot of products, but then you'll notice she loves a lot of organic makeup. Julie Hewett's Camellia Lip Balm is another one of these smart products that pack a potent pretty-fying punch: it has Rose, Camellia, and Orange essential oils that heal chapped lips and skin, the shade is pitch-perfect, and it smells lovely! Fun Fact: An ancient Chinese beauty secret, Camellia oil is the closest to human skin oil which allows the oil to absorb quickly and benefit the skin as no other product can. Plus, this concoction is now made only in Organic form, it's petroleum free, and free from animal testing! Now that's what we call sweet talkin!
We love seeing Emma's pretty face on the cover of Pure Wow! Their takeaway?
"Hours of pampering that leaves us prettier? Now that's entertainment."
Danielle from Sweet Nothings stopped in—and we love that she did! So great to meet you & glad the date went well! (though, not glad that he turned out to be not so great after date number two!). Read more here!
We abide by the "Less is More" handbook, but oftentimes that natural "no makeup, makeup" look is the hardest thing to do yourself!
Good news: Not only are we here to give it to you, we're also here to help! Learn how to pull off the basics with our Makeup 101 class— you'll get a fun, tailor-made lesson customized to you're own look and unique beauty! It's fun and refreshing, and pretty scholarly if you ask us! Find out more about Makeup 101, and our other classes here.
(Please call for availability (310) 652-5874)
As if you needed another good reason to make your appointment!
Radiant nude makeup looked particularly pretty on the Fall runways of Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, McQueen, and Burberry. Dewy and glowing in that "I just got back from the best vacation of my life" way, this look is meant to make you look and feel completely luminous. It's the kind of prettiness that will accentuate your natural beauty and will never go out of style! — Emma Willis
If you can't get your "tropical getaway" fix, stop by Blushington and just look like you did! Make your appointment for your Simply Glowing application here!
Our menu includes makeup applications, brow tweezing, brow tinting, eyelash tinting, and faux eyelash application.