Love the look of metallic eyeshadow? Light reflecting metallic shades are a fun, funky twist to any makeup look. It’s the perfect accessory for a night out on the town or for holiday parties.This season, metallic purple, shimmery snow-white shades, and rich emerald tones are hot, hot, hot!
Try smudging one of these colors really close to your lashes—both above and below— using a small buffing brush. We love Sparkle Singles shadows by Girlactik Beauty for the holidays. They come in a ton of colors (our faves include White Gold, Champagne, Brown, Lavender, and Sky Blue) and have to be brushed over either a black or a pearl base.
click for photo credit/source
There are so many different type of lippies out there, it’s often overwhelming to choose just one (or ten)! Here, we break down all things lip for you:
Gloss is perfect for everyday. It’s a no-brainer and can even be applied without a mirror. It can also be applied over a lipstick to add extra shine. Glosses with glitter mixed in are very popular this season.
Lipstain is great for when you need something long lasting. If you want something more bold and sophisticated than simple, shiny gloss, and you know you won’t be able to reapply, a lipstain is for you. Lipstains are just limited to matte looks—they come in a variety of textures and finishes. Current colors that are on trend for lipstains: cranberry, rose, deep plum, burgundy, and pink.
Reserve lipliner only for when you’re using lipstick. The purpose of lipliner is to help define and accentuate your natural lips. You should apply a color either matching your natural bare lip color or the color of lipstick you’re using.
Lipstick is great for both everyday use and for special occasions. There is nothing more fitting than a classic, clean red lip, especially around the holidays. Matte or glossy finishes work; choose whichever one you’ll be able to reapply comfortably. The current trend for holiday season is keeping skin fresh and dewy—not heavy—with everything understated except your lipstick. The lips should make the statement!
click for photo credit/source
You walk out of your house in the morning with great looking eye makeup, but by lunchtime, it looks like it’s melted off in big smudges. Follow these simple steps to make your eye makeup last, keep your shadow from creasing, and avoid raccoon eyes:
1) First, apply a primer all over your eye area—including underneath, especially if you plan on wearing bottom eyeliner or eyeshadow. We like Eye Priming Perfector by Becca.
2) Let the primer dry and then set it with a translucent setting powder. One of our faves: Mattifying Translucent Powder from Jouer. It creates an invisible and flawless finish
3) Choose a waterproof eyeliner, which will be less likely to run or smudge due to heat, crying, or sweating. We swear by Stila Smudge Pots and their waterproof liners. Fifteen seconds after applying, the color will not budge. Another trick: Use eyeshadow instead of eyeliner under your lower lash line. It will give you the look you want but won’t run.
4) Spray a setting spray such as Model in a Bottle all over your face, which will help lock in all of your makeup.
click here for photo credit/source
No one has completely perfect skin. But everyone wants to look like they do! Follow these makeup tricks to ensure you have a flawless looking complexion every day:
1. Moisturize! Your skin will stay hydrated and you’ll also create a good base for primer. If you’re oily, only moisturize under your eyes and in your drier areas.
2. Apply primer with a foundation brush only where it’s needed. You read that right—most primers are not meant to go all over your face Instead, they should be used more as a corrector for problem spots. For example, if you have roscea, use the primer in those areas and leave the other areas alone.
3. Saturate a makeup sponge with water and squeeze out the excess. Then dip it in foundation and using a stippling motion, apply the foundation all over your entire face avoiding the under eye area. Wetting the sponge helps to melt the foundation into the skin which makes it look more natural.
4. Choose a shade of concealer lighter than your foundation. Use a concealer brush and dab it into any areas you want to conceal under your eyes, between the brows, and around the nose. After you apply it, go back with the foundation brush and pat it into your skin, leaving a soft finish that helps to meld everything together for a flawless appearance.
click for photo/credit
Bright lips are hot, hot, hot! But how can you pull it off without looking like you still live in the 80s? To keep a bright lip clean and trendy, keep everything else super simple. Skip the heavy eye makeup and opt for a little liner and lots of mascara coupled with glowy skin so that the focus is on your lip.
When you go to pick out your bright lip color, stay away from neon colors since they can instantly date you.Think hot pink with a hint of magenta and more tangerine rather than neon orange.
To get the perfect application, exfoliate your lips so that you have a smooth surface for the lipstick. Be sure to pick out a matching lip liner so you can get a clean precise line. After you line your lips, saturate a lip brush with the lipstick and blend it into the lip liner. This will give you the perfect bright lip.
A few of our faves:
Stila's Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Fiore for a stained look
Kevyn Aucoin Forever Lipstick
Becca's Flamingo Crush for a glossy look
Jouer's lipstick in Grace for more of a subtle look
Julie Hewett Lipstick in Belle Noir for more of a brighter look
click for photo credit/source
Now that your summer glow is slowly fading away, it’s a good time to rethink your makeup. Fall is an especially great time to switch up your foundation—from the lighter coverage tinted moisturizers that are great for summer to a formula that is a bit fuller, less dewy, and more matte. In addition to fuller coverage, look for a foundation that has emollient properties to help hydrate your skin during the cooler weather. Here are our picks for perfect fall foundations:
Perfect and Correct Foundation by Stila is the perfect segue into a fuller coverage product, yet won’t look over-done or cakey. The best part—moisturizer and primer are included so it’s a one-stop product.
Radiant Skin Satin Finish Foundation by Becca is another great product to introduce into your regimen this time of year. It leaves your skin with a velvety matte finish and the “just right” amount of coverage.
click here for photo credit/source
Afraid of falsies? Don’t be. You can get luscious false lashes easily—by making an appointment here at Blushington! Want to try to do it on your own? Here’s how to get a professional look without an appointment:
1. Choose strip lashes that best suit your personality, comfort, and style.
2. Measure the lashes to each eye. Align the shortest lashes at the inner corner of your eye. The longest lashes should be aligned to your outer eye. If the lashes feel too heavy or long against your own lash line, cut off any excess.
3. Apply Duo Lash Glue (It comes in both Clear and Black; we prefer the Black) to the false lash. Use a thin spatula or the back of a makeup brush to apply the glue. Just don’t use a cotton swab since the cotton fuzz can easily get in to your eye. Allow the glue to get a bit tacky and not too liquidy which will make the lash stick better.
4. Apply the lash right over your own lashes (not above or below). Hold on to the lash for at least 10 seconds.
5. Allow glue to fully dry. Finish your lash application by applying mascara to get extra drama.
Long night? Don’t show it! The trick with covering up dark under-eye circles is using a color correcting concealer in a peach or orangey shade. Using an orange tone will cancel out any blue that is under the eye area—which ultimately helps conceal any unwanted darkness. Sounds crazy, but it works; Remember the old school color wheel? Orange and blue are opposite colors, which is why they cancel each other out.
After you’ve used a peachy shade to correct the blueish tones, go back over the entire eye area (including the eye lidl) and apply a brightening concealer—either in your exact skin tone or one hint of a shade lighter—to help illuminate the eye area.
Our fave combination to help hide a sleepless night:
Omit Conealer by Julie Hewett in Shade 2 or Shade 3 is the perfect peachy color correcting concealer. Apply with a brush in a patting motion.
Duo Concealer by Becca is perfect for a creamy, bright eye. Apply over the color corrector.
Age-Repairing Concealer by Jouer combines Dermaxyl® Complex and Brazilian botanicals for ultimate coverage. It corrects skin imperfections, offering heavy coverage, while reducing the signs of aging & stress and eliminating shine. Apply using light strokes around nose, chin, under eyes to even out skin tone and to conceal blemishes.
Tinted moisturizers seem to be the hottest item in makeup right now. More of a sheer version of foundation than skincare, most tinted moisturizers contain SPF—a huge plus since it’s a one-stop product which offers moisture, coverage, and sun protection. Tinted moisturizers are best applied with your fingers to achieve that fresh "no makeup, makeup look.”
Still, picking one out can be confusing since there’s so many choices when it comes to texture, color, and coverage. Here are a couple of our faves:
Jouer Matte Moisture Tint is great for a fresh, clean makeup look without being overly dewy or done up. We love it for day and night.
Stila Sheer Color Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20 is an amazing everyday formulation that will leave skin looking dewy—not too shiny—for all day protection.
Jouer Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer is a great alternative if someone wants a more dewey glow to their skin. It's great for dry to normal skin!
Keeping skin clean, fresh, and oil-free during the summer isn’t the easiest thing to do. Our number one tip for removing excess oil—rinse your face with cold water. Good old H2O is a universal solvent and not only removes oil buildup, but rinses away environmental stressors and refreshes your complexion.
Still, all the water in the world can’t keep shine at bay unless you’re also using effective skincare products. We are in love with the new skincare line that Stila recently launched. The five piece Try-Me Set lets you test out each of the products that are perfect for oily skin:
Coming Clean Revitalizing Gel Cleanser is great for this time of year because it will remove excess oil without leaving your skin feeling dehydrated.
Glowing Reviews Gentle Skin Renewal Scrub gives a little extra cleaning for your skin. It’s perfect after a day at the beach or prior to self tanning.
Undercover Conditioning Toner & Moisture Prep removes excess oil and preps skin to take in moisture.
Face the Day Multi-use Moisturizing Gel Cream hydrates without being too heavy.
Light Source Spot Correcting & Brightening Serum is targeted for hyper-pigmentation and brightening, which can help prevent any unnecessary spots from peaking through the skin.
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last ›